Card requests are declined when Green Dot can't verify your identity based on the information provided. Federal law requires that Green Dot verifies the identity of all of their customers. This is done by collecting name, date of birth, address and Social Security number, and then verifying that information through third parties.
When that information can't be verified, it may be because:
- The information wasn't entered correctly (e.g., the name or address was misspelled)
- The address provided was a PO Box or prison address
- The information provided doesn't match (e.g., the Social Security number doesn't match the name, or DOB, or a person submits their married name before officially changing it)
- The information isn't yet part of the public record (e.g., if someone was very recently issued a Social Security number)
- The individual has exceeded the maximum number of open and active Walmart MoneyCards tied to their Social Security number
- The information is earmarked in our system such that we will not issue a card (e.g., due to previously suspect activity)
Must be 18 or older. Registration, online access, mobile number and identity verification is required to open an account and access all features. See Cardholder Agreement at GreenDot.com for fees, terms and conditions. Card issued by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa® U.S.A., Inc. Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association. Green Dot Bank operates under the following registered trade names: GoBank, Green Dot Bank and Bonneville Bank. All of these registered trade names are used by, and refer to, a single FDIC-insured bank, Green Dot Bank. Deposits under any of these trade names are deposits with Green Dot Bank and are aggregated for deposit insurance coverage. ©2021 Green Dot Corporation.